Saturday, September 24, 2011

Phone Dilemmas

I am currently eligible for a discounted upgrade to a new phone.  However, my contract does not expire until April of next year.  I really need a new phone now.  I am about ready to set my Blackberry on fire.  It freezes at least 3 to 4 times a week and I have to take the battery out in order to reset it.  It's incredibly annoying.

So here's my dilemma:  I am paying $100 a month for my wireless service.  (My regular service is $39.99 a month plus $50 for unlimited internet/data & texts, plus all of their fees and taxes and stuff.)  Now, I can switch to a different carrier and pay $69.99 a month (same amount of minutes, internet/data & texts included).  However, my early termination fee would be about $100 and I'd have to pay for the phone and probably change my number.

It seems like such a hassle to switch to only save $20 a month.  ESPECIALLY if I have to change my phone number.  I've never had a problem with the coverage my carrier provides.  It's just the price that I have a problem with.

My 2nd dilemma is which phone to pick, if I just upgrade and stick with my current carrier.  I can get a refurbished phone for significantly cheaper than the new version.  I've never gotten a refurbished phone before.  The difference in warranty troubles me.  (90 days for refurbished, 1 year for new).  But the cheaper price seems to make it worth my while to try it out.  I've talked to a few people who have had good luck with refurbished phones, but I'm still hesitant.

I don't know what to do.  I can't decide.  Ugh!!!  Why can't this be simpler!?!?

No comments: