Friday, November 19, 2010

My Harry Potter Adventure

I've never been one to get overly excited about midnight showings of movies.  I could always be patient and see the movie during normal daytime hours.  But this is the last Harry Potter movie!  (Well...the next to last, anyway.)  This called for some Super Geekdom!  Plus I didn't have to work early the next morning, so I figured I'd give it a go.

My job was to save a place in line for 3 other people who were working late.  I discovered that some friends of mine were in line early, so I headed out to the theater about 9:30 pm.  It wasn't too cold, which was nice.  It was fun to hang out with some of my high schooler friends and help them rehearse for their pending "Anything Goes" auditions.  I was shocked when they started herding people inside at about 10:30 pm.  Just as the line starting moving, I got a call from my cousin saying that he wouldn't be able to make it after all.  (Long story...sick kiddo...)  As I was being herded inside, I called my mom regarding the extra ticket.  She decided that she'd just pay my brother for the ticket and just not use it.  (That's all part of that aforementioned long story.)

So, I end up in the first theater they were filling up and the rest of my party was still 15 to 20 minutes away from arriving.  They REALLY frown on seat saving on nights like this, so I had no idea what to do.  After a frantic call to my sister and a conversation with a theater employee who grew up down the street from me, I opted to wait in the lobby until everyone else arrived and then we'd find a theater.  (They were showing the movie on several screens.)

Everyone arrived about 15 minutes later and we found a theater with open seats.  We ended up having to sit a little bit closer than I normally prefer, but it wasn't too bad.  It was now an hour and fifteen minutes until the movie began.  We had time to kill!  And when they started playing the pre-movie stuff on the screen it was on a very short loop, so we had to see the same trivia over and over and over again.  "YOGI BEAR!!"

FINALLY the movie began.  AND IT WAS GREAT!!!!!  My only complaint was that the camera was a little shaky at times.  I don't know if they was a directorial choice, but it was a little weird.  Other than that, GREAT MOVIE!  When it was over...GAH!  We have to wait until July now!  (I've read the books, it's not like I don't know what happens, but STILL!!!)

I got home at 2:45 am.  4 hours past my bedtime.  But it was TOTALLY WORTH IT!!!!  It was a fun evening and I'm glad I went, even though I am super tired today!!!

And special mention must be made of the great staff at the Metrolux 14 movie theater.  They handled the crowd wonderfully, were very organized, and very professional!  Good job, team!

No comments: