Saturday, August 11, 2012

Scammer Fail

They say that e-mail scammers are getting smarter.  Well, after an attempted scam reached by my inbox this morning, I submit that they are complete idiots.

This is the e-mail I received today:

Hello,

   I'm writing this with great grievance . I'm presently in Madrid,Spain. with my Family for a short vacation and we're stuck...And really it was  unannounced. We were attacked by four armed robbers on our way back to the hotel where we lodged.we were robbed and completely embarrassed.All our cash,credit cards and cellphone were stolen.
 
We've reported the incident to the embassy and the Police but to my dismay they seem not  bothered...their response was just too casual.Our flight leaves in few hours but We've got to settle our bills before We're allowed to leave....Now am  freaked out....Please I need you to loan some money,I promise to refund you as soon as I'm back home. All i need is $1,650 .. Please Let me know what you can do?Write me back so  I can tell you how to
get it to me..

Umm.....okay.  The sender was my friend's name, and his e-mail address.  Except for one minor difference:  After his e-mail address, it said "via Yahoo".  Huh.  Just out of curiosity, I clicked "reply".  The Reply-to address was the same prefix as my friend's e-mail address, but it was @ymail.com.  I reported it as Spam, but I don't know how to take any further action than that.  I'll need to look that up.

But really, the one thing that made it immediately clear that this was a scam was this:  I knew he wasn't in Madrid.  We had a show last night.  He was there.  I last saw him at about 10:30 pm.  We have a show tonight.  There is no way that he sent that message to me from Madrid at 7:47 am MDT.

So this is a message to all the scammers out there:  If you're going to hack someone's e-mail and send a message like this to all of their friends, make sure that you don't send this to people who just saw them the night before.  I really, REALLY want to reply to the e-mail and tell this person what a moron they are.  But I won't....it just verifies that I received the e-mail and puts me in danger of getting hacked myself.

Idiots. 

No comments: