Thursday, August 30, 2012

Theatre Update!

I guess it's time to do a little update!  The summer has both dragged and gone by really fast.  How does that happen?  I have no idea.
  
I just finished up a 10 week run of Titanic: The Musical at the Union Colony Dinner Theatre in Greeley.  I played the role of 1st Class Passenger Marion Thayer.  


This picture is from the beginning of the lifeboat scene...which is one of the most heart-wrenching scenes in the entire show.  And I kicked it off with my solo:  "You and I are getting in the lifeboat.  Father will be staying here awhile.  It will be like rowing in the Serpentine.  Come along now, let us have a smile!"  In real life, the Thayer's son, Jack, was 17 years old.  In the show, he is supposed to be a 8 or 9 year old boy.  We used a baby, since it was easier.  I seriously considered having Emily, Rebekah, George, or Ben play the child, even just once.  Didn't do it, though.  Too much work to get them to understand where to go and what to do.  Plus, they are all blonde and blue eyed.  Wouldn't look right.  So the stage-veteran doll it was.  That is the 3rd time that doll has played my child onstage.  (Fiddler on the Roof and The Miracle Worker were the 1st two times.  It's also been in a few shows at the Candlelight!)

It's no secret that Titanic is one of my most favorite shows ever.  The production I did with Front Range Music Theatre in 2003 was nothing short of AMAZING!  It was hard for me at first to not dwell on how awesome that production was.  This show was different.  Different cast (well, except for Lloyd and Sharon as the Strausses, and me in a different role), different theatre, smaller stage, smaller set, no full orchestra.  But we came through with a wonderful show and touched many hearts with the message.  Sail on, sail on, great ship Titanic!


Up next, I will be playing Mrs. Paroo in Up in Lights Productions' The Music Man.  The show runs the last two weeks of October at the Rialto.  Craig is playing Mayor Shinn.  It's going to be a fun show!

But before that, I'm singing in the Loveland Opera Theatre Gala "Give our Regards to Broadway" on October 6th.  I'm singing "Home" from Beauty and the Beast and "Defying Gravity" from Wicked.  It's going to be a great Gala!

No comments: