Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Book Review: Within the Dark Hills by Sian Ann Bessey

It's pretty rare that a book truly, deeply, affects me emotionally.  Either I don't feel a real connection to it, or just something else.  But in the case of Within the Dark Hills, I devoured it.  When I finished it, I didn't want it to end.  I wanted to know more!  I felt a deep connection to the characters...probably because some of my ancestors came from Wales and lived almost the same life that the characters led.  I felt a kinship to them through this book.

Annie Morgan is running from a vicious employer out for revenge and Evan Powell is trying to raise a 2 year old daughter alone while working 12 to 14 hour days in the mines.  They are brought together by the local preacher and enter into a marriage of convenience.  Annie gets protection in case the former employer comes looking for her and Evan's daughter gets a mother.  Sounds simple, right?  Well...no.  The town gossips go nuts and Evan's sister is furious.  They work past the difficulties caused by the town, but something always comes up.  But it all brings Evan and Annie closer together.  And then the Mormon missionaries come to town, which fuels Evan's long lasting desire to go to America.

I really loved this book.  I felt a connection to both characters almost immediately and I wanted nothing more than for them to fall in love.  I loved a chance to get in touch with my Welsh roots, too.  I was reminded once again that my singing voice probably came from my Welsh ancestors. 

I highly recommend this book to anyone looking for a sweet romance, a historical novel about early converts to the Church, and anything at all about Wales.  It's a great book that you won't want to put down.  (And I'm considering writing to the author and asking for a sequel!  I liked the characters just that much!!)

No comments: