Thursday, December 6, 2012

Angela's Essential Broadway Playlist

I'm creating a playlist on my iPod called Essential Broadway and I'm going to share it with you.  These are my favorite showtunes.  Take note (and PLEASE see the disclaimer at the end!):

"An Old Fashioned Wedding" from Annie Get Your Gun (1999 Revival)
- Bernadette Peters + Tom Wopat + this adorable song = MAGIC!

"Blow Gabriel, Blow' from Anything Goes (1987 Revival)
- Patti Lupone as Reno Sweeney.  Need I say more?

"If I Can't Love Her" from Beauty and the Beast
- Hands down my favorite song from this musical.  When I did the show, I used to run offstage after Be Our Guest, ditch my giant plate, and race back over to watch this song from the wings.

'If Ever I Would Leave You" from Camelot
- This song is just so heartbreakingly beautiful...especially when sung by Robert Goulet (Ask me about the time I saw Robert Goulet as King Arthur.)

'Soliloquy' from Carousel
- My favorite Rodgers & Hammerstein.  People knock this show all the time, but I adore it!  It shows real life...stuff that really happened.  It teaches us that everyone deserves redemption.  And this song...GAH!  When Billy starts singing about "My little girl, pink and white as peaches and cream is she"...I LOVE IT!!!

'I Miss the Music' from Curtains
- This song is just beautiful.  And it takes on an entirely new meaning when you consider that this was the last show that Kander and Ebb wrote together before Fred Ebb passed away.  John Kander really does miss the music!

'Nothing is Too Wonderful to be True' from Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
- Listen closely to what Freddy is singing and you can't help by laugh!  Norbert Leo Butz is a hoot!

'As We Stumble Along' from The Drowsy Chaperone
- A rousing anthem sung by a drunk lady.  Gotta love it!  Especially when she messes up the lyrics.  Love it!  (And I love singing it!)

'Lady of Spain' from Forever Plaid
- A salute to the Ed Sullivan show!  A hilarious number to hear...and watch!

'The Crapshooters Dance' from Guys and Dolls
- My favorite number in the show.  And that's saying a lot...I love singing "Adelaide's Lament"!

"No More" from Into the Woods
- I don't know what it is about this song that gets me every time.  Whether is the the Baker bonding with his father or the fact that the lyrics to this song are just so...RELEVANT.  It's a great song.

"Confrontation" from Jekyll & Hyde
- It's one guy.  It's not two guys.  THAT'S what makes it so incredible.

"A Summer in Ohio" from The Last 5 Years
- It's just so funny...and Sherie Rene Scott is awesome!

"Empty Chairs at Empty Tables" from Les Miserables
- Both ways I've seen this song staged are so exquisite.  And you just ACHE for Marius.

"Love to Me" from The Light in the Piazza
- Someone please sing this to me.  Seriously.

"If Only" from The Little Mermaid
- Of all the new songs they added for the stage version, this one is by FAR the best.  It's exquisite!

"Somethings are Meant to Be" from Little Women
- I can't tell you how much I love this duet.  Even those Beth dies at the end.  (Spoiler alert?)

"The Impossible Dream" from Man of La Mancha (2002 Revival)
- It's Brian Stokes Mitchell singing one of the best songs EVER.  Need I say more?

"Feed the Birds" from Mary Poppins
- Making this a duet between the bird lady and Mary is pure genius!

"Pore Jud is Daid" from Oklahoma! (1998 London Cast)
- Best song in the show, sung by Hugh Jackman.  Aaaaaw yeeeeeeeah.....

"Ugg a Wug" from Peter Pan (2004 Revival)
- The original was good, but this updated version is super cool!

"You are my Own" from Phantom
- I have no qualms about admitting that I prefer Maury Yeston's version over Andrew Lloyd Webber's.  One main reason is the storyline involving the Phantom's father.  And THIS song.

"Here on this Night" from The Pirate Queen
- Unfortunately, this show tanked on Broadway.  But the music is fantastic!  Especially this duet.  Hadley Fraser & Stephanie J. Block are incredible!!

"I'll Forget You" from The Scarlet Pimpernel
- Marguerite sings this while in prison.  I ADORE THIS SONG!!!

"Lily's Eyes" from The Secret Garden
- This song will forever and always be one of my most favorite songs!!

"Who I'd Be" from Shrek
- I just love this song.  Shrek is more than just a stinky ogre!!

"This Nearly Was Mine" from South Pacific (Carnegie Hall Concert Version)
- Once again, it's Brian Stokes Mitchell.  The guy can sing no wrong.

"Diva's Lament" from Spamlot
- This song is just plain amazing.

"Gimme Gimme" from Thoroughly Modern Millie
- Sutton Foster.  That's all I'm saying.

"The Blame" from Titanic
- It was hard for me to pick one song from this show.  What happens between the Captain, Ismay, and Andrews in this scene is incredible, so I went with this song for that reason alone.  It's a great scene!

"For Good" from Wicked
- Bet you thought I was going to go with Defying Gravity, didn't you?  Well, I'm sorry, but you can't beat this duet.  It's one of the best songs ever written.

"My New Philosophy" from You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown
- Not only is this just about the cutest song ever, but it was also introduced the world to a little lady named Kristin Chenoweth.

"Old Maid" from 110 in the Shade
- I want to play this role, but I could never play Lizzie as well as Audra McDonald did.  Wow times 100!

"The I Love You Song" from The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee
- There are no words to adequately describe how awesome this song is.

Get Out and Stay Out" from 9 to 5
- Another Stephanie J. Block POWERHOUSE number.  Stand up and cheer for this GIRL POWER SONG!!!

DISCLAIMER:  This list is a work in progress and will FOREVER be in flux.  My favorites change daily.  But at the moment I was going through my music on iTunes, these are the songs I loved.  While I will not yell at you if you send me messages that say "But what about [blank]?", I may or may not add them to my list.

No comments: