Tuesday, April 12, 2011

"Classical" Night? HA!

I am a nerd.  I freely admit it!  That's why I did what I did while watching last night's Dancing with the Stars.  It was Classical night.  So they said that everyone was dancing to Classical Music.  Now, I'm kind of a snobby purist when it comes to "Classical" music.  It's used as a general term these days to encompass many different eras of music.  The Classical Era actually started with the death of J.S. Bach (in 1750) and ended around the beginning of the 19th Century.  I figured that most of the songs being danced to would NOT be from that particular time period.  So what did I do?  I kept track.  And I was RIGHT!!!

I basically played two games while watching the show.  I tried to guess what the song was.  And I categorized it.  There was only one that I got wrong.  And one that I just plain didn't know.  Here's my list:

  1. Romeo/Chelsie:  Palladio by Karl Jenkins 20th Century  (This is the one I got wrong.  I thought it was Vivaldi!)
  2. Kendra/Louis:  Con te partiro (Time to Say Goodbye) Crossover (Everyone thinks this is opera...totally not!  It was written in the mid-1990s!!!)
  3. Sugar Ray/Anna:  Waltz of the Flowers from the Nutcracker Romantic
  4. Petra/Dmitry:  Les voici! voici la quadrille from Carmen Romantic
  5. Ralph/Karina:  Love Theme from Romeo & Juliet Movie Soundtrack
  6. Hines/Kym:  Explosive (Bond)  Crossover  (This is the one that I didn't know.)
  7. Chelsey/Mark:  Hedwig's Theme from Harry Potter Movie Soundtrack
  8. Chris/Cheryl:  Hall of the Mountain King  Romantic
  9. Kirstie/Maks:  Flower Duet from Lakme  Romantic
Two other songs performed were:
1st Movement of Beethoven's 5th Symphony  Classical  Although, there is debate as to where to classify Beethoven.  Classical or Romantic.

O mio babbino caro from Gianni Schicchi Romantic

Yeah, yeah...I know I'm being super picky.  But hey!  I have to put my music degree to the test sometimes, you know?  The only thing that REALLY bugged me was when Maks said that Classical Music doesn't have a clear beat and rhythm.  I was like EXCUSE ME?!?!  But then when I found out when he and Kirstie were dancing to, I can see why he said that.  There's no drums in that song.  I guess Maks needs heavy percussion.  (His specialty is Latin, so I guess I can forgive him!)

I'm really happy that they did this "Classical" Night.  (Emphasis on the " ".)  I get a little tired of all the pop songs that get done on that show!  But I did miss the Latin dances.  They ONLY did Paso, Viennese Waltz and Waltz.  I love the Paso, though.  It's my favorite!!

Oh, and I REALLY enjoyed the guest artists they had on!  Violinist David Garrett and mezzo soprano Katherine Jenkins!

Thank you, Dancing with the Stars, for continuing to reach out to all genres of music and dance!  I enjoyed the Swan Lake presentation on Tuesday night! 

1 comment:

Sarah E said...

Angela,
I took a humanities class this semester on the history of western culture and was appalled to find that "classical" refers to a very specific time period. I considered my self musically literate, but did not know that:) However, I would never have classified modern instrumental or orchestral pieces as classical. That is really pushing it. I missed that episode, but I hope you went to the site page and commented. The producers should be paying people to keep them from making that kind of mistake:)