Saturday, April 2, 2011

Fort Collins Temple!!!

We have wished, hoped, and prayed for a long time.  We TOTALLY weren't expecting an announcement today.  But there it was!  President Monson announced three new temples today.  And the first one he said?  FORT COLLINS, CO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  We are over the moon excited for this!  We currently have an hour and 10 minute drive to the Denver Temple (and that's on a GOOD day).  This will shorten our drive tremendously!  Depending on where they build it, I'm looking at anywhere from five minutes to half an hour!  And the blessings that will come to this area....they are immeasurable!!

I'm especially excited for Emily, Rebekah, George, & Benjamin.  I was a kid when the Denver Temple was built.  I have cherished memories of that time.  We saved our pennies to help pay for the Bride's Bench.  We went to the cornerstone ceremony.  We went to the open house more than once.  I was eight years old and was able to attend the dedication.  The kids will be able to do this, too!  (Well, Emily will probably get to go to the dedication...depending on when it is.)

We're already debating in our family as to where it will be built.  And we'll probably all be wrong.  Mom thought Wellington (because they are getting their own chapel!).  Craig thinks near the Trilby Building (I would be TOTALLY okay with that...it's 5 minutes from my house!)  I think near the Harmony exit on I-25.  There's a lot of open space in Timnath.  It would be great if they would build it on the west side of town, so the mountains would always be a backdrop, but it's more convenient on the east side, near the interstate.  I guess we'll see!  But either way, we are so excited to have a temple so much closer to us!!!

Does anyone know the general timeline these days of announcement of a temple to the dedication?  We're thinking it's going to be at least 2 years.

I am so thankful for this wonderful blessing coming to Northern Colorado and Wyoming!  We've waited so long!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Angela,
I grew up in Fort Collins, thou not as a Mormon. I didn't join the church until I came to BYU to school. I can say that I share your enthusiasm that our great town of Fort Collins is getting a temple. I would have NEVER expected that. I was visiting my family who are not members when it was announced in Conference. I was not watching or listening, and three of my family back in Utah called to tell me. My Colorado family was less than thrilled, but my Utah family and I were so excited! I, too, am wondering where it will be built. I grew up by the City Park Lake. I am sure it will be somewhere out South or where you were saying, where the new growth is. Wow! Thanks for sharing this! I found it when I Googled about the new temple! Good luck to you and maybe we will someday meet in the Fort Collins Temple! Sue M. Alpine, Utah