Saturday, July 30, 2011

Can't Dance....or Won't Dance?

I can't dance.  Okay, that's not totally true.  I can dance, just not very well.  It takes me awhile to pick up choreography (as long as it's not too hard.)  But here's the thing...the time it takes me to learn the choreography is longer than the time I am given to learn it during a dance call back audition.  This is SO FRUSTRATING!!!  I am not given the time to prove myself because there's just not time.  So then I don't get cast in something and when I go to see the show later, I get really sad when I see the choreography that I would have been doing.  I think "Well, I could have done that."

I guess this is my lot in life.  I'm a good singer, a pretty good actor, and a mediocre dancer.  Audition notices will say "Experienced singers, actors, and dancers needed."  What they mean is "You will be cast if you are experienced at all three.  If not, best of luck to you."

Sure there are shows where dancing is not required, or certain characters are not dance roles.  But at theaters where actors play multiple roles in a show...you have to be a triple threat to be cast.  I'm not a triple threat.  I'm a 2 and a half threat...if that. 

*sigh*

No comments: