Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Ode to a Sandwich

It's not that I don't like sandwiches. I do like them...I'm just sick of them. And not all of them...just the kind with regular bread. You have to understand, that was my lunch pretty much every day from 1st grade on. Even into college, I think I had a sandwich every day! Let's just say I have issues with those kinds of sandwiches. (I like Subway & Quiznos sandwiches just fine, thanks.) But when you eat THAT MANY SANDWICHES over the years, the thought of eating another one makes you want to hurl. Trust me on this. And then there are the sandwiches that get soggy by the end. There has been many a sandwich that I have not finished, because I couldn't stomach the sogginess. Yucky!!!!!!

This story has a point...please bear with me.

Because of the location of my office, I get lunch at the Safeway Deli quite often. They have the most DIVINE chicken tenders. But I've been trying to cut back a bit on those. They are deep fried...and soooooooo not good for me. So, today I headed across the street in search of food. I carefully avoided the deli counter itself and perused the items in the cooler close by. I glanced across the row of sandwiches. I had tried one once, and it was horribly dry. They used to have some good wraps, but they haven't been as tasty lately. And I've had one too many Chicken Salad on Croissant sandwiches. Well, one sandwich caught my eye. Roast Beef and Cheddar on white bread. Didn't look so bad. Finally, I decided to give it a try. I also got my obligatory bottle of apple juice and a bag of Cheetos. A well rounded lunch, I must say. Especially with the addition of Easter peanut M&Ms I found of sale. :)

Back at the office, I dug into my lunch. After removing the offending tomatoes, I bit into my sandwich. I was pleasantly surprised! The bread was not dry like before. It was perfect. The roast beef was great and the cheddar cheese was so mild it was practically American cheese (my favorite kind of cheese, much to my family's dismay). The lettuce wasn't wilted, but was perfect as well. I checked the label...the sandwich was made yesterday! Wow! It was possibly the best day old roast beef and cheddar sandwich I have ever eaten. It won't be enough to make me a sandwich lover again (not that I ever was), but it made for a great lunch.

Yummy sandwich from the Safeway Deli, I salute you!

2 comments:

Julie said...

I can hardly eat mashed potatoes, baked potatoes or scalloped potatoes for the same reason. Growing up- my mom was a firm believer in meat and (you guessed it) 'tatoes. I have become a picky potato person. Funny how the things we eat as a child shape our tastes for the future!
Loved the post, by the way!

Craig said...

Two comments:

American Cheese is not cheese, it is called "Cheese Food", there is nothing more fake than that!

Grocery Store delis should have the packets of room temperature mayo, that will make most dry sandwiches edibly moist (but you may need a few of them...)