Thursday, November 19, 2009

Movie Recommendation: Flash of Genius

I like movies that make me think.  Sure, I enjoy mindless comedies (like Tommy Boy), but sometimes I really like a movie I am forced to wrap my brain around (like Million Dollar Baby).  Flash of Genius is one of those movies.  I missed the very beginning, but I saw most of it.  The premise is simple (and it's based on a true story, by the way).  This guy invents the intermittant windshield wiper.  The Ford Motor Co. steals the idea.  This guy spends the next 12 years of his life suing them.  It's a fascinating movie.  Watching one man take on the giant.  It's a modern day David & Goliath, basically.  But here's what you take from it:  was it worth it?  He gave up his entire life, passed up numerous settlement agreements from Ford (one worth $30 million dollars!) just so that they would be forced to admit that they stole his invention.  He alienated his friends, he lost his wife, his kids stuck by him but they didn't have much of a family life because of his endless efforts to take on Ford.  Was it worth it?  You have to ask yourself, if you were in a similar situation...how far is too far?  When should you just let it go?  How much are you willing to sacrifice?

Great movie!  Greg Kinnear is AWESOME!!!!  Highly recommend the movie!

No comments: