Monday, June 14, 2010

Random Tony Thoughts

It was too late to do this last night and I didn't take notes during the show, so this is going to be a partial list and all from memory, but here you go:

  • Opening number = awesome!
  • Use of Kristin Chenoweth = priceless
  • Look!  It's Barbara Cook and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat!
  • Some people are bashing Catherine Zeta Jones' performance of "Send in the Clowns", but I found it strangely mesmerizing.  She later mentioned having vocal troubles, which is understandable.  I enjoyed her interpretation of the song.  She played it like a toned down mad scene, which is cool!
  • I want to see "Memphis"
  • I want to see "Million Dollar Quartet"
  • I don't care to see "American Idiot" (but I don't like that kind of music, so that was a given even before I saw their musical number.)
  • CZJ's reaction to her win was HILARIOUS!!  We rewound it and watched it again.  I love seeing people who are genuinely shocked to win.  It's so refreshing after seeing so many people stand up and head for the podium, obviously thinking "Yes, I won.  I knew that I would.  I deserve this more than the others!"  (I watch a lot of awards shows, so I see this a lot!)
  • Matthew Morrison's song was great!  I kind of laughed when he got a little winded near the end.  He's out of shape!  That's what happens when you do a TV show.  (Is it wrong to say that the full spectrum of his talents are being wasted on Glee?  Because I think they are.  He's great, but still....)
  • Lea Michele was great, too.  Don't take that as her "Funny Girl" audition, though.  She'd have to leave Glee to do that show.  Cast Stephanie J. Block and all will be well!!
  • Overall a great show!  Truly the World Cup of Showtunes!

2 comments:

Princess Jami said...

I have lots of little floaty hearts for Kristen Chenoweth. She is just adorable! Adorable! :-)

Princess Jami said...

I just watched the Catherine Zeta-Jones acceptance speech. :-) Totally cute!! Awww....