Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Art Controversy leads to Opera Awareness

Without going into the details of the controversy, suffice it to say: there is a painting at the Loveland Museum and Gallery that is quite the stir. It's opening up a lot of debate here in town.  Based on what I have heard, I have no desire to go look at it. I wouldn't have gone even if I hadn't heard about the controversy, actually.  I'm not really an Art Gallery kind of girl.

But that's not why I'm writing this blog.  Something kind of funny has happened due to this whole thing with the museum.  There are literally hundreds of people at the City Council meeting tonight.  I was at the City Council meeting tonight to, at least at the beginning.  I was there because there was a proclamation read declaring the week of October 29 - November 7, 2010 as Opera Awareness Week in Loveland, in conjunction with National Opera Awareness Week.  There were a few of us there from Loveland Opera Theatre to accept the proclamation (most of which I wrote, by the way), and Juliana gave a short speech.  Then the mayor said a few things.  It was really cool.

But what's funny is that all of those hundreds of people there for the museum thing heard all of this!   They probably wouldn't have heard it otherwise.  They probably would never have known that Loveland Opera Theatre even existed.  I still have no desire to go to the museum and see that painting, but I'm thankful to the protester for inadvertently raising Opera Awareness in Loveland.

We didn't stick around after our part was done tonight.  I'll watch the news tonight and see if they say anything about Opera Awareness Week.  Something tells me they won't.  I just really hope it doesn't get out of hand at the meeting.  There are a lot of angry people in this town right now.

P.S.  Can I just say that it's a little surreal to have your former high school band director be the mayor of your town?  It's also a lot of fun!  I mean, how many people did the mayor wink at during the meeting tonight?  :)

No comments: