Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Lessons in Bagging Groceries

Maybe it's because I grew up in a grocery store.  Maybe it's because I worked at Albertson's once upon a time.  But I am consistently amazed at the lack of thought that goes into grocery bagging.  Most of the time, I go through the self checkout, just so that I can bag my own groceries.  But occasionally I have too many items to feasibly get away with the Limit 20 at the self-checkout.  Today was one of those days.

My one question:  On what planet is it okay to put 5 one liter bottles of water in one flimsy plastic grocery bag?  Why don't we just put all of the heaviest items in one bag?  Sure!  I'm very lucky the bag didn't break.

I wonder if they assume that everyone has a garage and they can carry their groceries 10 feet or less from the car to the kitchen.  This is SO not the case with me.  I have to carry my groceries quite a way to get them to my kitchen.  The last thing I need is bags breaking and groceries flying all over the front yard.

I'm done with plastic bags.  I need to get some reuseable grocery bags.  But I'm sure they'll stuff more heavy things in those. 

/rant

1 comment:

katina said...

I've started having them bag my groceries in paper bags...they are much sturdier than the plastic bags and I can put them in my recycle bin every week. Win/win. :0) Check out this tutorial if you want to make the reusable bags yourself: http://www.dana-made-it.com/2008/07/tutorial-recycled-grocery-totes.html