Thursday, November 22, 2012

200th Anniversary

Do you know what I just realized?  We have been commemorating several things that took place in 1912 this year (like the sinking of the Titanic), but we have totally forgotten one very important thing!  Two hundred years of Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture!  It's only one of the best pieces out there.  Great music...actual cannons.

Wait...what?  It was composed in 1880?  Oh.  Huh...

Well, it's got 1812 in the title.  Why?  Because it was written to commemorate Russian's defense against Napoleon's invading army in 1812.  So hurray for that!  Please take a moment to listen to this magnificent piece:


LOVE IT!! One of my favorite songs I ever played in band. We didn't use cannons, though. I'm pretty sure they frown on that at the UCCC. We used a bunch of bass drums that had one head removed. I have a recording, if anyone ever wants to listen to it. Pretty amazing!

No comments: