Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The "Why are you making this my problem?" Rant

I apologize in advance. I'm going to use some terms related to my job and I'm not going to explain them. Suffice it to say, I am the bookkeeper for the 15 Homeowners Associations that my company manages.

Dear Ms. Homeowner,

Yes, you were turned over for collection. You owe 5 months worth of HOA dues. I understand that you travel a lot and don't get your mail in a timely manner. However, you were sent 5 monthly dues statements, 2 past due notices, and 1 final notice letter. The time between the final notice and the date the account was turned over for collection was 14 days. I find it very interesting that you "didn't receive" any of those, but the day the collection letter from the attorney arrives, you call me immediately. And then you turn it around to say that we should have called you and left a message letting you know you owed the dues. How is it that you didn't know you owed the money when you got EIGHT FREAKING NOTICES in the mail?! No, I'm not going to call you. I have a total of 1400 homeowners I'm dealing with, most of whom pay their dues on time. I'm not going to track down your phone number (which I didn't have until you gave it to me today) to babysit you. You are an adult. Take responsibility for your lack of response to the 8 total notifcations that you owe HOA dues and don't turn this around on me. I have enough to worry about. Just pay your freaking dues.

Sincerely,

Angry HOA Bookkeeper

/rant

You don't know how much I wish I could say this to people's faces...or you know, say it through the phone. But in this economy, I'm better off having a job.

4 comments:

katina said...

And the fact that she KNOWS she owes HOA fees. It's not just some random fee...this is a recurring fee that EVERY homeowner knows about when they buy a home. What a dumb lady!! She just wanted to yell at someone...I'm sorry you were that someone!! :0)

Ixchelle said...

I completely understand. I worked for a company that manages HOAs. I dealt with stupid homeowners all the time.

Julie said...

I understand. When I used to work at the bank people would come in, their accounts shamefully overdrawn and then be stupid enough to say "How did this happen?"
All I could say was, "Well, let's look at your statement... you bought this... and this... and this... it cost this much. Oh- and look, you didn't have that much money to begin with..."
Even years later, I still wish I could have told people YOU'RE IN THIS SITUATION BECAUSE YOU AREN'T RESPONSIBLE- AND NO IT IS NOT MY NOR THE BANK'S FAULT!!!
(Thanks, I needed that... sorry about your crazies...)

Angela said...

Those are the stupid people that ask you what their balance is and forget all the transactions that may or may not have posted yet. I know that situation all too well...I did my time as a bank teller. I think crazy people follow me wherever I go. ACK!!!