Friday, August 28, 2009

Show Recommendation: Phantom

Poor Maury Yeston.  He's gotten his thunder stolen twice (that I know of!)  The first time was when he was writing his amazing musical adaptation of the novel "The Phantom of the Opera" by Gaston Leroux.  They were raising money to fund a Broadway production when this dude on the other side of the pond named Andrew Lloyd Webber announced a musical based on the same story.  Well, that, as we all know, was a smash hit in London.  And it's still playing in New York.  (The 2nd time Maury got his thunder stole was with "Titanic".  That amazing musical opened within 6 months of James Cameron's movie.  Everyone talks about the movie.  Those of us that know the musical, and have had the wonderful opportunity to be involved in a production, are well aware that the musical is vastly superior to the over-hyped movie.)  Anyway...the musical "Phantom" got put on the shelf for a bit.  The libretto was actually made into a TV miniseries, starring Charles Dance, Teri Polo, and Burt Lancaster.  (Well, let me tell you...I grew up on the movie.  My cousin Melissa and I watched it so many times we practically had it memorized.)  Not long after the movie aired, the first production of the musical was produced.  Approximately 1000 productions around the world have followed.  The latest...at the Candlelight Dinner Playhouse in Johnstown.

I had the priviledge of seeing most of the final dress rehearsal.  I was taking pictures of the set for my sister, so I viewed the majority of the show through the digital camera.  I am so excited to come back and see the entire show.  It's EXQUISITE!!!!!  Forget ALW's version...this show is all heart and no spectacle.  You are drawn in quickly, and you fall in love with the Phantom.  Your heart just aches for the guy!  And the music...oh, wow!  Gorgeous!!!  Some of the best songs Maury ever wrote are in that score.  DO NOT MISS THIS SHOW!!!!  It runs tonight (August 28) through November 8, 2009.  And when you go, I have words for you:  BRING KLEENEX!!  I was having trouble taking pictures near the end of the show.  It's hard to see the camera, let alone the stage, when you're crying.  This is a heartbreakingly beautiful musical, and should not be missed!

Candlelight Dinner Playhouse

No comments: