Monday, July 12, 2010

Angela Update Time

Some big stuff has happened since I started that whole Broadway Divas 101 thing.  I didn't want to break up the course, so I have waited to post anything else!

Remember that whole thing about a "theatre-free summer"?  Well, apparently, I lied.  I have joined the cast of 42nd Street.  I came in with 3 weeks left until opening and took over the role of Mac the Stage Manager.  No dancing, no solos, just acting.  And I am cheating by having all of my lines a the clipboard that I carry.  Yes, I have memorized my lines...well, most of them...but why stress about it?  We open this Friday.  Come see the show!  It's fantastic!  The cast has worked really hard on the dance numbers and they are FANTASTIC!!!  The whole show is great!  Visit www.uilproductions.com for more details on the show.

I auditioned for Oliver! at the Candlelight, and while I did get a call back (which is a big deal!) I didn't get cast in the show.  Oh, well.  You win some, you lose some.

I've been playing in the Loveland Concert Band this summer.  I was very excited about the 4th of July concert because I was going to play piccolo for it!  The regular piccolo player wasn't going to be there.  I practiced twice (and I NEVER practice) and sat in the scorching sun at the rehearsal the day before.  Well, a little while before I was supposed to leave for the park, it started raining.  Then it started pouring.  The thunder was continuously rumbling.  It was like there was a flood from the sky!  Well, the band generally plays rain or shine, but this was a bit more than our regular late afternoon storms that pass quickly.  This was a SERIOUS down pour!  But I couldn't just guess the concert would be canceled.  I had to go find out.  So Shauna and I set out in her Jeep.  We couldn't get into the park because they had the entrance blocked.  We drove over to Erwin to see if the band was there (since that's where they were having a bus take them to the park.)  We drove through the pounding rain all the way there and they were already gone.  We went back to the park, but took the road that goes around the east side of Benson Park.  The cars that were parked along that road had water up their wheel wells!  IT WAS FLOODING!!!!  We got into the parking lot at the high school and ran out into the rain down to the amphitheatre.  I had to jump over a puddle that was about three feet across.  I landed in the grass and sunk up to my ankles in water.  There was a river going to the sidewalk, and so I got totally soaked in the 30 seconds it took to run to the stage of the amphitheatre.  We found out then that the concert had been canceled.  So, we ran back to the car, I handed off my band folder to another flute player who was playing at the concert the following Saturday (that I couldn't go to, but the other piccolo player needed the folder), and we made out way through the flood waters back home.  It wasn't a huge flood, but there was a TON of water on the road!  It was crazy!!!  The fireworks were canceled that night and they did them on the 5th...however, the concert was not rescheduled.  I never got to play all that piccolo stuff that I had practiced!!  SUCH A BUMMER!!!  But all is not lost!  We have one more concert and we are playing Stars and Stripes Forever.  So, I will get to at least play my favorite song!!

And now for the fun and hilarity that ensued early this morning.  Wait...did I say "fun and hilarity"?  Um, no it was kind of the exact opposite.  We were awakened at 4:30 am this morning by pounding on the front door.  My first thought, once I woke up enough to react, was that it was a drunk who was at the wrong house.  So I grabbed my phone and stumbled out of the room.  Melissa had already answered the door and it was the Sheriff's Department.  Someone had been breaking into cars, and he'd gotten into Melissa's car.  We had to look in our cars (with the help of the deputy's flashlight) to see if anything was missing.  Mine looked okay, Melissa said her loose change was scattered around.  But nothing else appeared to be stolen.  (When she got in her car this morning, she found that the guy had thrown  her stuff all over the place!)  We had to fill out witness reports and then we went back to bed.  You think I could sleep?  Nope.  I finally did go back to sleep, but it wasn't long before my alarm started going off.  Ugh....  When I got in my car, nothing had been touched.  So I guess the guy never made it into my car before he ran off.  But I lost precious sleep over that, and I hope they throw his sorry trash in jail.  Jerk.

So that's the latest and greatest!  My life is just as crazy busy as ever!

No comments: