Thursday, July 1, 2010

Broadway Divas 101: Lesson 11: Stephanie J. Block

Not many people realize this, but Stephanie J. Block was the original Elphaba. She originated the role in early workshops, but was replaced by Idina Menzel when the producers decided that they needed a bigger name to star opposite Kristin Chenoweth.  Stephanie was devastated but understood the nature of the business and moved on.  She made her Broadway debut in 2003 as Liza Minnelli in The Boy from Oz (opposite Hugh Jackman).  Stephanie went on to originate the role of Elphaba in the first national tour of Wicked in 2005.  I consider Stephanie to be THE ORIGINAL Elphaba.  Not only because she played the role before Idina, but also because I saw her in that first tour.  She was the first Elphaba that I ever saw.  More about that later!

Stephanie was born and raised in California.  She has performed regionally in a variety of roles.  Her other Broadway credits are:  Grace O'Malley in The Pirate Queen and Judy Bernly in 9 to 5: The Musical.  She released her first solo album, This Place I Know, in 2009.  She is married to actor Sebastian Arcelus, who has played Fiyero opposite her in Wicked twice.

Back to Stephanie being my most favorite Elphaba ever:  I remember sitting there, listening to her singing "Defying Gravity" and being insanely jealous at her ability to belt almost effortlessly.  She has the most gorgeous, controlled belt I have EVER heard.  If I ever meet her, I'm going to ask if she was trained to sing like that or if it just happened naturally.  She's an incredible actress as well. She was a fun Elphie.  I've seen 4 Elphabas now (Eden Espinosa, Victoria Matlock, and Donna Vivino being the other three.)  There are strengths and weaknesses in all three, but none of them can top Stephanie for me.  She's amazing!

There is going to be a revival of Funny Girl in 2012.  If they don't cast Stephanie as Fanny Brice, they might as well not even bother doing the show.  This is my personal opinion.  Take it or leave it.  I have a fantastic recording of her singing "Don't Rain on My Parade" if you don't believe me.  Lea Michele, eat your heart out.

Homework:
Watch these videos:












Oooh...intro by Shoshana Bean! I saw her in concert last year!


Sources: http://www.stephaniejblock.com/index.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephanie_J_Block
http://www.ibdb.com/person.php?id=109701

No comments: