Sunday, September 19, 2010

Thank you, Gmail

It seems only fitting that my e-mail account would be pillaged on International Talk Like a Pirate Day.  I was on my way home from church when my phone dinged that I had an e-mail.  I was super confused, because it was showing 14 returned e-mails.  What?!  I hadn't sent anything to anyone all day, let alone in the previous 10 minutes.  Turns out, someone hacked my account and sent spam to 14 of my top contacts.  But Gmail, being all big on crazy things like SECURITY, caught it!  They didn't allow the e-mails to send, so I got error messages for each one!  When I got home, I tried logging onto my e-mail and they had put a hold on my e-mail account until I got a verification code sent to me via text message.  Once I got logged on, I had to change my password.  Then later tonight, a thing popped up that showed me the recent activity on my account.  It said if this didn't look like my activity, I should change my password immediately.  Whoever it was that hacked my account is apparently in New Jersey, but it also said something about Korea.  What?!  Whatever.  I changed my password and I'm very grateful to Gmail for being on top of things, security-wise.  Gmail Security, I SALUTE YOU!!!

I still can't understand how anyone could have figured out my password.  It's ridiculous!  (Seriously, my password is a crazy combination of letters and numbers that I would think would be nearly impossible to figure out, but whatever.  I'm sure they have computer programs for that kind of thing.  Crazy, stupid people.  Get a life.  Seriously.)

No comments: