Friday, June 1, 2012

Places Kids Should See Before They Turn 15

Yesterday, I was watching The Today Show 4th Hour with Kathie Lee & Hoda.  They had a guy on who was listing 5 places kids should see before they turn 15.  Of the 5, I had only been to two, and waaaaaaaay after I turned 15.  I knew there was a longer list, so I looked it up.  I'm going to see how many I have actually been to...and how old I was.

Here we go:
  • Grand Canyon - Arizona - Nope, haven't been there.
  • Redwood National Park - California:  I don't think I've been there.  If I have, I was a baby.
  • Monticello - Virginia:  I don't think so.
  • The Freedom Trail - Massachusetts:  Nope.
  • Niagara Falls - New York:  Nope.
  • The National Mall - Washington, DC:  Yes!  Been there twice!  Once as a baby, and once at age 24.
  • Williamsburg - Virginia:  Nope.
  • Walt Disney World Resort - Florida:  Nope.
  • Independence Hall - Pennsylvania:  Nope.
  • Alcatraz Island - California:  Yes!!  I was 22.
  • Ellis Island - New York:  Yes!!  I was 28.  (I might have been there as a baby, too.)
  • Yellowstone National Park - Wyoming/Montana:  Yes!!  I was 32.
  • Fenway Park - Massachusetts:  Nope.
  • Craters of the Moon National Monument & Preserve - Idaho:  I don't think so.  Maybe?
  • San Diego Zoo - California:  Nope. 
 Wait...those weren't the ones they mentioned on TV.  How many lists are there?  The list they had yesterday was:
  • Golden Gate BridgeYes, when I was 22, and probably when I was a baby, too.
  • Field Museum - Chicago:  Nope.
  • Metropolitan Museum of ArtYes, when I was 28.
  • U.S. Space & Rocket Center - Huntsville, AL:  Nope.  (But I've been to Tuscumbia, AL and I saw Helen Keller's house!)
  • Volcanos National Park - Hawaii:  Nope.  (But I have been to Hawaii!!!!)

Now I'm curious how many other lists there are.  Researching now...  Yeah, there are 2 lists.  There's another Top 15, which the 5 I saw on NBC yesterday are included in.  The other 10 from that list are:
  • Sea World - San Antonio, TX:  Nope, but I did visit the Alamo when I went to San Antonio in 2003.
  • Carlsbad Caverns - New Mexico:  Nope, but I was in Albuquerque during the Balloon Festival one year.  That was pretty cool.
  • National Museum of American History - Washington, DC:  Nope, but I probably would have gone there if we had been in DC for more than 36 hours.  Drive-by sightseeing does not work with museums.
  • Arches National Park - Utah:  I don't think so.  Is it close to Lake Powell?  I've been there twice.  Can we go again, please?
  • Birmingham Civil Rights Institute - Alabama:  Nope.
  • Mount Rushmore - South Dakota:  YES!!  Just last year!
  • Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library & Museum - Springfield, IL:  Nope.
  • Hoover Dam - Nevada:  Nope.
  • Acadia National Park - Maine:  Nope.
  • Museum of Science - Massachusetts:  Nope.

So, out of 30 places to see, I've been to 7.  Wow.  That's sad.  But I've been to almost all of the must-see sites for Mormon kids to see:  Salt Lake City, Martin's Cove, Winter Quarters, Nauvoo, Far West, & Independence.  Just missing Kirtland & Palmyra.  AND I got to go to England and Scotland 2 years ago.  That was really cool.  :)  But yeah...I need to travel more.

1 comment:

Susan said...

I haven't been to Craters of the Moon also. Kind of interesting since Grandma & Grandpa lived not too far away from them....