Wednesday, July 11, 2012

If This is a Dream, I Don't Want to Wake Up!

This is the month for bizarre dreams, I guess.  Last night I dreamed that I was at my wedding reception.  I could actually see the groom's face this time.  I have no idea who he was, I didn't recognize him as someone I know.  And right in the middle of the dream I consciously thought "This is a great dream.  I hope I stay asleep for awhile."  I did wake up at one point, but when I went back to sleep, I went right back into the dream.  (There was a marching band show as part of the reception.  Yeah, that's how I roll.)

Well, anyway, this dream gave me an idea for a story.  I wrote the first couple of paragraphs.  It will probably be a short story.  I haven't written one in awhile, but I rarely get enough for a whole novel.  So here is what I wrote.  Let me know if it grabs your attention.  Would you read this story/book?


            It was like a dream:  too good to be true.  But at the same time, it seemed so vivid and real!  I recognized many of the people filling up the beautifully decorated cultural hall at the church.  My family was there, dressed to nines.  This must be someone’s wedding.  A quick glance at my attire quickly tells me that this is my wedding.  Wait…what?  How can this be MY wedding?  I’m not dating anyone.  I haven’t been dating anyone for a while.  This can’t be my wedding.  But I’m the only one in the room wearing a white dress, so it must be true.
            No, I’m pretty sure this is a dream.  Unless I am suffering from a serious case of amnesia, I don’t remember getting engaged, let alone dating someone!  Where is he?  Is this going to be one of those dreams where I can’t see the groom’s face?  I look around and see that the groom is standing right next to me.  I look up with trepidation.  Sure enough, I can see his face.  He’s a handsome guy, but I don’t remember ever seeing him before.  He’s smiling adoringly down at me.  So this is what it feels like to be adored!  I haven’t felt that from a guy in a long time…probably ever.  He puts his arm around my shoulders and give me a lingering kiss on my cheek.  This is the best dream ever!  I hope I can stay asleep for a long time and enjoy this dream for all it’s worth.  Now if I just knew what the groom’s name was.
            I woke up with a start.  I was alone, the same as every other night.  My heart was pounding and I was shaking a little.  That was a great dream.  I desperately tried to relax, hoping to go back to sleep quickly and get back into that dream.  Usually when I go back to sleep, I dream about something else.  But this time, I was determined for this dream to continue.  I had to find out what his name is!

© Angela Johnson 2012

I'm thinking that she'll end up running into the guy somewhere and then freak him out a little bit trying to convince him that he's the one for her, just based on her dream.  I remember something from my dream where the groom said "I'm so glad that I looked past her initial weirdness and found the girl underneath."   Or something like that. 

Anyway, let me know what you think.

2 comments:

katina said...

You're a really great writer! I liked the story! I pictured the rest of the story with the girl finding out his name in the dream, and then in real life meeting a boy who looks exactly like the guy in her dream, and another boy with the name of the guy in her dream...and then she has to decide which one is the right one from her dream. Or maybe I just read too many cheesy love triangle books. :0)

Angela said...

I've written some more. She meets him within a few weeks, but freaks him out a little by telling him about the dream.