Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Local Theatre and Local Actors

You probably haven't wondered why I've recently added the phrase "SUPPORT LOCAL THEATRE AND LOCAL ACTORS" in a couple of my Facebook posts.  But I'm going to tell you anyway.

I'm not going to name any names, but there are a couple of local theaters who have been doing the majority of their casting in New York City.  I believe that this is a slap in the face to local actors.  We work our tails off trying to live the dream of performing live theater.  We can't afford to move to NYC, or we don't want to move there.  Whatever our choices in regard to location, we are here now.  We are performing in local theaters.  To be not even given the chance to perform at a certain theater because they didn't do any local auditions is not fair.  Just plain NOT FAIR.

The irony of all this is that many of the actors who are cast in NYC, and then move here for a few months to do a show, probably moved to NYC from another area similar to this.  Plenty of local theatre companies casting local talent.  They went to NYC to try the waters in the big pond, only to be cast at a far away theatre in a small pond.

So when I say "SUPPORT LOCAL THEATRE AND LOCAL ACTORS", I'm not saying don't go see the national tours that come through.  I'm not saying don't go to the bigger, Equity theaters in the area.  I'm saying to remember that there are actors in your very own town who are just as talented as any of the imported actors.  You don't have to go to NYC to see amazing performances.  They are right here in your own backyard!

I am happy to work at theaters and with theater companies who hire local talent.  They don't feel the need to look elsewhere when there is great talent right here, right now!

No comments: