Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Hindsight is 20/20

There are two things that have happened in my life that I wish I could go back in time and change. Okay, there's probably more than that, but for the purposes of this blog, there's 2.

The first happened when I was 5. The Fort Collins Stake was doing The Sound of Music. I can't remember exactly what happened, but I'm pretty sure I could have played Gretl. I think my parents told me I could audition, but that if I got the role, I would have to stay up late. I wouldn't get a lot of sleep. Well, being the lover of sleep that I am, I chose not to audition. STUPID! What was I thinking?!?! Considering what I do now, I should have given up the precious sleep. HELLO, LITTLE 5 YEAR OLD ANGELA...YOU COULD HAVE PLAYED GRETL IN THE SOUND OF MUSIC! SLEEP, SCHMEEP! Ah, well. As it was, my musical theatre debut was at 13, playing Lucy in You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown. That looks good on the resume', too

Okay, the 2nd thing happened in college. Victor Borge came to perform at the UCCC. I think I was probably a freshman or sophomore. I saw that he was coming, and I really wanted to go. I don't know what happened, but I ended up not going. And he passed away a couple of years later, never coming back to Colorado. I never got to see him perform live! What a dork I was! Why didn't I go to the concert? What could have possibly possessed me to not go? Incidentally, because of that little error in judgement, I made sure that I did not miss Peter Schickele (PDQ Bach) when he came to perform with the CSO. And now he'll be here with the Greeley Phil next year, so I can see him again!

If you don't know who Victor Borge is, then you really need to discover his greatness. He was a virtuoso, classical pianist. And he was the funniest classical pianist EVER! I was just watching a special about him on PBS last night. I was laughing so hard! He was HILARIOUS!!!! Check him out on YouTube. There are TONS of video clips on there.

So, if I could go back in time, I would. But I have learned from my stupid decisions. What have I learned? No amount a sleep can compensate for passing up on a good role in a good show. (Boy, did I take that one to heart this year or what!) And don't assume your favorite performer will ever come back. Go see them now! (Okay, that doesn't explain why I didn't go see Linda Eder last month, but I have seen Bernadette Peters. And Josh Groban. And Celtic Woman.)

No comments: