Saturday, May 8, 2010

My "LOST" Journey

I came upon LOST pretty much by accident.  Seriously.  I was still big into Lord of the Rings during the summer of 2004.  I frequented many message boards, and there was a lot of buzz about a pilot that Dominic Monaghan was doing.  At first, I thought they were talking about a reality show, ala Survivor.  Then the commercials started on ABC.  I thought "Oh!  This looks interesting!  Maybe I'll check that out!"  I had become quite jaded about watching new TV shows.  I still am, really.  Shows I like tend to get yanked off the air pretty quickly.  So I ended up waiting to see if they are going to make it before I start watching.  (Yes, that is one of the reasons it took me four seasons to start watching Bones.)  But I gave LOST a chance.

LOST premiered on September 22, 2004.  I don't remember if I actually watched it that night.  I think I actually forgot to watch.  But they aired the pilot again the following Saturday and I watched it then.  I was immediately hooked.  Charlie's now famous line to close the show, "Guys?  Where are we?", was the same thing I was asking and I HAD TO KNOW MORE!!!!!  I had never seen a show like this before.  It was game over.  I was a die-hard Lostie.

By Season 3, my brother Neal had gotten hooked on the show, so I finally had someone to watch it with me.  However, he left on his mission on the day of the Season 4 finale.  I was left on my own again (and was frequently made fun of by my sister for my screaming and crying during the show.  Hey, I'm a active participant in this show, okay?)  It's been fun to find out which of my friends and family do watch the show religiously, so I have people to theorize with.

One of the best things along the way was the Season 6 Premiere Party with my friends.  We dressed up as our favorite characters (or in my case...the character that didn't require me to wear a wig!), ate Dharma Food, and came up with the now-debunked theory that Richard is the Polar Bear while watching the premiere.  Good times had by all!  ("SHUT UP, KATE!!")

Some fans have stopped watching the show by this point.  Sure, it has gotten really confusing.  But I have faith in the producers and writers that they aren't going to let me down.  Everything will be answered in the end.  And the producers have assured us that all the important questions will be answered.  The lesser ones...probably not.  I even wrote a blog about why I am not a fair-weather fan:
http://angelas-old-blog.blogspot.com/2008/10/lost-is-back-or-why-im-not-fair-weather.html


And here is my ode to Michael Emerson:
http://tangents-by-angela.blogspot.com/2009/12/william-benjamin-linus-hinks.html

The end of LOST is near.  The 2 1/2 hour finale will air on Sunday, May 23rd.  I am going to be a basket case when I watch that.  I love this show!  I can't believe it's over.  But I can't deny that an end date was needed.  They couldn't drag this story out forever.  This is a serialized drama...they can't start new story lines.  They need to give us the end.  I can't wait to find out what it is!!!!

This show has been an amazing thing, and I'm so glad that I have been along for the entire ride.  And since I own all the DVDs, I may just watch the entire series again!  Hey!  That might help me avoid LOST withdrawal!  Cool!!!

But seriously...this show is amazing.  No one can convince me otherwise.  Don't even try.  You will not win.

1 comment:

Leigha the Great said...

I completely agree. I love the show. I can't wait to find the end but I wish it could go on forever. I also am "an active participant in this show". I cried like a baby during The Candidate. Hope you have a great finale party!