Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Critical Opinions

There is something that has been bugging me for a really long time.  I don't know why it's bothering me so much,  but it is.  I can't believe how extremely critical some people are.  Who made them the judge of the world?  It's one thing to share your opinion, but it's another thing to openly bash someone or something.

I try really hard to see the good in everything.  I also try to remember that there are things that I don't like that others do.  Do I openly tell them that what they like is wrong or bad?  No!  For this very reason, I rarely discuss political issues. 

But what's really been bugging me recently is people who are very vocal about not liking a certain book or a certain movie.  They make it clear in no uncertain terms that the book/movie/whatever is horrible and how in the world could ANYONE like them?  Well, gee, I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy it, but what gives you the right to be so judgmental?  Do you know how much your comments might hurt the people who like what it is you are criticizing?  ESPECIALLY if it's an unprovoked attack.  It's one thing to be asked "What did you think about [fill in the blank]" and to reply with your honest opinion of why you didn't like it.  It's another thing to just come out with "[Fill in the blank] totally sucked and is the worst [fill in the blank] ever."  I just want to say "Could you do better?"  Seriously, if you couldn't do a better job, then keep your mouth shut.  You are in no place to judge.  (I could write an entire blog about why I think theatre critics should have some theatre experience.  But that's a blog for another day.)

I'm not saying that you can't have your own opinion, but just be careful about what you say.  You never know who's feelings you might hurt because they really liked what you didn't like.  Saying mean and hateful things just makes you seem like a jerk.  If we all liked the same things, the world would be very boring.  It's what makes the world what it is that everyone likes different things.  But just be conscious of the people around you.  Be respectful of other people and their opinions.  And seriously...follow the advice of Thumper's dad:  If you can't say somethin' nice, don't say nothin' at all.

1 comment:

katina said...

I agree. :0) I know someone who likes to think of himself as the critic who knows everything: the best music, the best movies, the best food. And if he hates something then he assumes that the people that like it have really bad taste. Sometimes I like to say that I like something he doesn't like...just to argue with him and tell him why he's wrong. I know, two wrongs don't make a right, but sometimes it makes me feel better. :0)