Saturday, August 14, 2010

Defining "Necessity"

So, since I lost my full time job, I'm a little short on cash.  I got severance pay when I lost the job and that went right into the bank.  It was the equivalent of a month's salary.  So now I have to stretch that money out over who knows how long.  It's been 2 weeks and I don't have a new job yet.  I filed for unemployment, but if that goes through it won't come for awhile.

I now have to go beyond Want vs. Need and actually DEFINE "Necessity."

Normally, I have no issues paying a lot of money for theatre tickets.  I say that I'll go without eating for a couple of days because seeing live theatre is "research".  But now, I'd have to give up eating for a week.  Makes me stop and consider: "do I REALLY need to see this show?"

I bought a book today.  I may be able to give up eating for a couple of days, but I CAN'T give up reading.  Especially because I have all kinds of spare time at the moment.  I can only watch so much daytime TV.

I bought a package of scrapbook paper and two scrapbook albums.  I am in the middle of scrapbooking my England trip and have "42nd Street" and my Yellowstone trip still to go.  Necessity.

We've talked about going to Elitches this summer.  I'm going to have to pass.  Can't afford it.

New clothes?  I can wait.  I'm good for now.

Movies...well, that's tricky.  I'm keeping my Netflix subscription.  It's only $10 a month.  And I watch at least 2 a week.  I'm getting those DVDs for cheap, yo!  But in the theatre?  I'm missing a lot.  Some I won't miss, but I'm letting most pass for now and I'll catch them on DVD.

I have cut fast food out completely.  I'll go hungry and wait until I get home, if at all possible.

If I run out of cleaning supplies, I'll just go make them magically disappear from my parents' house.  HEY-OH!

Gas for the car = Need

Rent = Need

I'm thinking I'll cut out buying soap.  Just kidding!!!!!

GOOD THING I DIDN'T BUY A CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Although, the dealership that I almost bought the Aveo from called me today.  I told him that my car hunting had come to a screeching halt when I lost my job.  He said he was sorry to hear about my job, but he wanted to be sure to let me know that I was still approved to buy a car.  SERIOUSLY?!  Dude, I am making a 4th of what I was making before.  I'm pretty sure I'm not approved to buy a car.)

Anything else that comes up, I'll just put it on my credit card.  Oy.  So much for that whole "debt-free" thing.  *sigh*

No comments: