Tuesday, August 2, 2011

What's in a Name?

Many of you reading this know that my dad's name is Murell.  (Pronounced mur-ELL, not MEHR-ell or myur-ELL.)  It's family folk-lore that Grandma named him after a furnace repair man who came to the farm shortly before Dad was born.

Well, today I was sitting at work and a girl came into the office.  She looked to be in her early 20s.  She said her name was Murell.  (That's what I heard.)  I thought "WHAT?!"  But then the phone rang and I didn't get a chance to ask her about her name.  But I did hear when she spelled it out for the message she was leaving for our Food & Beverage Manager.  She spells it:  Mirelle.  So she probably pronounces it:  mirr-ELL.  But say it out loud.  mur-ELL.....mir-ELL....  Sounds the same right?  I think so.  I called Dad and told him.  He got a kick out of that.

Names are funny things.  People keep coming up with more unique names.  Pretty soon we're going to be naming our kids after more random things.  "Toshiba!  Take out the trash!"

1 comment:

katina said...

I know a girl named mirelle too. :0)