Sunday, October 26, 2008

The Drowsy Chaperone

This show is one of the most ridiculous shows I've ever seen! AND I LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT!!!! The premise is just, well....genius! There's this guy called "Man in Chair" who tells you all about his favorite musical from 1928, "The Drowsy Chaperone." He plays the record (yes, record) and the show comes to life in his apartment! It's hilarious! He interjects his commentary, joins in the scenes, etc. Crazy? Ye.? Entertaining? DARN TOOTIN'! Holy cats, this show is funny!

I've wanted to see it FOREVER! I was in NYC 3 weeks before it started previews. I have pictures of the outside of the Marquis Theatre, with all the posters up. But alas, I never made it back to NYC to see the show. But I finally saw the tour yesterday! And I did get to see one of the original cast members. Georgia Engle is touring, playing the incredibly daffy Mrs. Tottendale. She's amazing! I want to have that much energy when I'm her age. How old is she? Wait...what? She's only 60? I thought she was older than my parents. Oh, well.... But the biggest thrill of the day was that Jonathon Crombie was playing the Man in the Chair. Hello!!! Gilbert Blythe from the Anne of Green Gables movies?! He's really good!!! We met him at the stage door after the show... and yes, I was "that girl" at the stagedoor. I couldn't help myself. I geeked out. I'm sorry!!!!

One thing I liked about the set was that it started out in the apartment. As the show started coming to life, the apartment stayed the same. But gradually, the set changed...adding more and more pieces of the show's set as the scenes went on. By the end, the only thing that remained of the apartment was the stuff on the procenium and the chair, lamp, & record player. Then after the curtain call, the apartment reappeared, in it's entirety. Loved it! The more we got into the show, the farther we moved from reality. That's how theatre should be!!!!!

Anywho..."The Drowsy Chaperone" is amazing! If you get a chance, see it! It's an hour and 40 minutes PACKED with laughs! They recreated a cheesy 20s musical, but with the added flair of today. I loved it! It's a love letter to musicals...specifically a love letter to musical theatre fans. How could I NOT like something like that?

1 comment:

Susan said...

So jealous! I didn't get to see it while it was in San Francisco. I've wanted to see ever since I found out a guy from my high school (he graduated the year before) was in it when it was playing on Broadway. Wicked is coming back to San FRancisco. We are going to take Annalise. I have converted her due to the fact I've played the soundtrack in car countless times.