Friday, October 24, 2008

Haunted? Yes. Scary? Psssssh...

I went to the Fritzler Corn Maze in LaSalle tonight. I had never been to a corn maze before, mainly because I have really, REALLY bad allergies. I thought I'd probably die in the middle of the maze and they'd have to airlift me out. But I decided to suck it up and go tonight. I've been managing my allergies since I was 12, so I took a couple of precautions. Turned out alright, mainly because it wasn't windy. Just cold, which is probably better.

Anyway...we went through the haunted side. I learned very quickly, that if we hung back just slightly from the group in front of us, the people would jump out and scare them. I would be tipped off by their screaming and not react. Plus, there's a definitive swishing sound that dried corn makes when you go crashing through it. That's your sign that someone is coming. So no screaming for me!

You get through the main part of the maze, and then you get to the really haunted part, called Scream Alley or something like that. You have to wait forever to get in, but it's worth it. Very cool stuff in there. Did I get scared? Nope. I'm a jaded theatre nerd. I know how they do it, I know it's safe. Why scream? It just encourages them. I don't want to be their prey.

So what did scare me? Well, the fake fog they used in one part was not the dry ice-based fog that is common in theatre. It was the silicon based kind that is VERY VERY BAD FOR YOU!!!! I was scared because I breathed some in. I was also disturbed by the number of people I heard yelling and screaming. That is SO BAD for your vocal cords. I could just hear the nodes forming. ACK!!! I will admit that I jumped when the next to the last chain saw guy jumped out at us. He literally came out of nowhere (I didn't hear the tell-tale swishing), and he jumped at us and not the people in front of us. But I didn't scream. I just went "Whoa!" and flinched. The best part of the whole thing was when we were in the spinning room with the chain saw guy. When the spinning stopped and we were waiting for the door to be opened, I said "Hey, a branch fell off my neighbor's tree into my yard. Can you come take care of it for me?" LOL!

So that's the way to do a haunted corn maze or haunted house. Don't take it seriously! It's not real. It's probably very disappointing for the people running it when I'm not screaming my head off, but that doesn't mean I wasn't highly entertained. I had a great time! And I didn't destroy my vocal cords in the process!! Yay!

3 comments:

The Picketts said...

I specifically remember a time that you screamed...it was while we were watching the 6th Sense. It's kindof funny now - since I've seen that movie a ton of times - but I definitely remember YOU screaming :o) Good times...Good Times!

Princess Jami said...

"So what did scare me? Well, the fake fog they used in one part was not the dry ice-based fog that is common in theatre. It was the silicon based kind that is VERY VERY BAD FOR YOU!!!! I was scared because I breathed some in." You crack me up. :-)

Angela said...

Yes, I screamed during "The Sixth Sense." But that was SCARY!!!!!!