Saturday, January 24, 2009

Let the Debate Begin...

Are potatoes considered vegetables? We've been arguing about this for a couple of days now. Please share your thoughts!

My research (via Wikipedia):

Potatoes are considered Tubers, which is technically an underground stem of a plant. So in that, it could be considered a vegetable. However, the Healthy Eating Pyramid tells us to eat 3 or more servings of vegetables per day, and to eat potatoes sparingly. So, that would tell me that potatoes are not vegetables. (I've been arguing that they are starches, which doesn't show up in any of this research...but what do I know?)

Anyway, please weigh in on the debate!

2 comments:

Veronica and Ryan said...

I think they are a vegetable and a starch. The two are not mutually exclusive. It's like being red headed and having curly hair. You can be both.

Julie said...

Every where I looked it said: "Potatoes are a starchy tuberous root, classified as a vegetable." So I guess that technically they are a vegetable, but having said that it's kind funky that we have to eat them sparingly...
By the way? Where do you get these questions? How did it ever come up?