Monday, January 5, 2009

Searching for Mr. Darcy

I think it's safe to say that Mr. Darcy is many a girl's first crush...those that have read or seen the movie(s) of Pride and Prejudice, of course. He wasn't my first crush, as I didn't discover him until later. (I didn't read the book until 2006, after I saw the Keira Knightley movie version...but I know I saw the BBC Adaptation years earlier.) But alas...I fell in love. Mr. Darcy is the perfect man. Or is he?

I have come to realize, with the help of some very funny books (Austenland by Shannon Hale...highly recommend that one! and Me & Mr. Darcy by Alexandra Potter...good, but way too much profanity) that Mr. Darcy is the perfect man for Elizabeth Bennet. He's not the perfect man for me. In fact, I'm pretty sure I would hate him. He's moody, aloof, and downright snobby! Not my kind of guy. I hate arrogance! I'd probably want to slap him senseless...you know, if I was prone to violence like that. And he wouldn't have a thing to do with me, that's for darn sure. I'm too silly. (I'm a little like Kitty Bennet, in some respects.) Sure, he's a good friend and loyal to the end...but only if he likes you. To everyone else, he's a pompous jerk. Lizzie sees that at first, but gets to know the man underneath (and why he is the way he is) and she falls in love. They are perfect for one another. Tra la la..they all live happily ever after.

So this is why I am very careful to say that I am looking for MY Mr. Darcy. I am not looking for THE Mr. Darcy. I am looking for what Mr. Darcy represents: a man who loves me no matter what the circumstance, who is a loyal friend, who loves his family, and is just pretty much amazing. Everything Mr. Darcy was to Lizzie...that's what I want for me. That will be MY Mr. Darcy. Every girl needs their own Mr. Darcy. (Mr. Darcy was Elizabeth Bennet's Mr. Darcy. How convenient!) Every girl DESERVES her Mr. Darcy. And if there isn't a Mr. Darcy to be found, DON'T SETTLE FOR MR. WICKHAM, WHATEVER YOU DO!!!!!!!!!!! Luckily for me, I have no Mr. Wickhams, I try to avoid any and all Mr. Collinses, but I would probably be okay with a Mr. Bingley. But alas, I'm holding out for Mr. Darcy. MY MR. DARCY!

And there's a new Mr. Darcy these days, or haven't you heard? His name is Edward Cullen. He has girls swooning. (Well, not necessarily swooning over Robert Pattinson...he's Cedric Diggory to me, after all.) But you know what? Edward Cullen is Bella Swan's Mr. Darcy. He's not my Mr. Darcy. I would tell him to take a hike. I really don't need a protector. I would feel smothered by Edward. And if I found out he was spying on me in my room while I was sleeping, I'd probably slap him with a restraining order. But I'm not Bella. Don't get me wrong...I'm Team Edward, even though I like Jacob Black. But I think it would be weird being with a guy who could read my mind. CREEPY!!!!!!!! I'm an Alice, though. Give me a guy who can manipulate my emotions. Jasper would calm me down when I go into freak-out mode. And the visions would be cool, too.

Here's the thing: Edward is not real. Mr. Darcy is not real. (Although some may argue that Mr. Darcy is based on the real life Tom Lefroy. Watch Becoming Jane and judge for yourself.) My Mr. Darcy, my Edward (or Jasper, if you will), is real. At least I hope he is. I haven't found him yet, but I'm sure he's out there....waiting for me. His Elizabeth Bennet...Bella Swan....er, Alice Cullen.

Yes, I was Elizabeth Bennet for Halloween. Don't judge me.

4 comments:

Veronica and Ryan said...

Angela, you are such a crazy girl. But i am still looking for your Mr. Darcy for you.

Unknown said...

Like a lot of other people, I am a fan of Jane Austin. I didn't really discover her until after the k. knightly version of the movie came out. I had alot of questions. So, I read the book. Then I watched the BBC movie over and over- it was the therapy I needed at the time...

Lydia Moon said...

I think you are absolutely right. Keep looking for YOUR Mr. Darcy. And please don't settle for Wickham! And I would advise against getting involved with a vampire, especially when your best friend is a werewolf. (I haven't finished the series yet, and I'm torn between Edward and Jacob.)

Unknown said...

Ditto to what Lydia said! You'll find that guy, but please don't settle. You won't be happy.