Wednesday, January 14, 2009

My Fashion Timeline is a bit askew

Last night, I came downstairs and my mom was watching something on BYU-TV. It was a women's conference or something. They panned over the audience a couple times, and by the looks of the styles of hair/clothes/glasses, I thought it was from the late 80s, early 90s. I watched for awhile (the speaker was Mary Ellen Edmonds...who is absolutely hilarious!) A couple more shots of the audience had me doubting a bit, but I still thought it was like 1991 at the earliest. Then she said something about an article written in 1996. Whoa whoa...what?! Finally, I grabbed the remote and pressed the Info button (Yay for DirecTV). I was shocked to discover that it was from 1998! Just over 10 years ago! I seriously thought it was older than that! Did we really look that dorky in 1998? That was my junior year of college! I don't remember being THAT dorky. (I am always and forever a dork, I will not deny it.)

Now I've never been up on fashion...not really. The fact that I am into scarves at the same time that scarves are popular is a total fluke. I'm usually a step behind... It just kind of threw me for a loop last night. But come to think of it, if you watch the early seasons of Friends and compare what they were wearing then to what's popular now...they look pretty dopey. And Friends was the I Ching of Fashion back then! Funny what just a couple of years will do. Even with revolving trends, you can still tell the difference between this year's styles and the styles they are copying from decades past. Right? RIGHT?!

1 comment:

Veronica and Ryan said...

We did look that dorky. I have the pictures to prove it.