Monday, December 28, 2009

A Decade in Retrospect

Can you believe that the first decade of the 21st Century is coming to a close?  It seems like only yesterday we were all planning for the apocalypse that never was.  (It was a little disappointing that the world didn't explode at midnight 1/1/00, thanks to all the hype.  What a let down!  Very anticlimactic!!!)

As we are bidding farewell to the 2000s and preparing for the 2010s, I thought I'd do a little retrospect on the decade.  The papers and magazines are all doing it.  Why can't I?  And of course it will be mainly about me.  Since this is my blog and all.  If you want it to be about you...make your own!


2000
  • Senior Recital:  March 7, 2000
  • Fun trip to Missouri with Katina for Spring Break
  • I graduated from UNC with a Bachelor of Arts in Music Liberal Arts, emphasis in Vocal Performance (minor in History)
  • Worked 2 jobs over the summer:  in the post office at Judy's Hallmark & teaching at Jesters
  • Played Wife #9 in The King and I at Jesters.
  • Craig left on his mission to the Austria Vienna Mission
  • Got a job as a Customer Service Rep at The Music Maker
  • Fun trip to the San Francisco Bay area to visit my mom's side of the family.  We were the featured performers at the Fredrickson Family Christmas Party!
2001
  • Played Florinda in Into the Woods at Jesters
  • The Music Maker closed, leaving me unemployed for the entire summer
  • Got a job as a bank teller at American Bank
2002
  • Served as Technical and Assistant Director for The Sound of Music at Loveland High School.
  • Fun (and very short) trip to Washington DC with Veronica to visit Justen
  • My brother Craig returned home from his mission
  • Played Ellen in Oklahoma! with Front Range Music Theatre.
  • Fun trip to Church History sites in Iowa, Illinois & Missouri with my whole family
  • Fun (and short) trip to Albuquerque, NM to see the LHS band perform at a competition
  • LHS marching band wins their 1st State Championship!
  • Sang in a performance of Handel's Messiah with the Greeley Stake. 
2003
  • Wrote & directed the Road Show for my ward at church.
  • I started taking voice lessons again.
  • Craig and Robin got married
  • Played Stewardess Robinson, 2nd Class Passenger & 3rd Class Passenger in Titanic: The Musical with Front Range Music Theatre.
  • LHS marching band wins their 2nd State Championship!
  • Fun trip to San Antonio, TX to see the LHS band perform at a competition
2004
  • Fired from Home State Bank (formerly American Bank) after 2 1/2 years of working there.
  • Got a job at Falcon Properties, Inc. as the receptionist/office assistant
  • Played Rose Lennox in The Secret Garden at Jesters.
  • Martin's Cove trek with University Ward (4 days, 4 seasons...)
  • Played Kate in Brigadoon with Front Range Music Theatre.
  • My car got hit while parked on the street and I had to buy a new one.
  • LHS Marching Band wins 3rd State Championship.  Neal quit band, ending an era.  1992-2004
  • Robin graduated from CSU
2005
  • Emily Marie Johnson was born!
  • Grandma Johnson passed away
  • I got 2nd place in Musical Theatre 14B at NATS.
  • Played Tinkerbell in Peter Pan with Front Range Music Theatre.  (And by played, I mean I operated the laser beam that was Tink onstage.)
  • Awesome week-long trip to Lake Powell
  • Geek trip to Utah to see the National Tour of "Little Women"
  • Craig graduated from CSU and they moved to Wellington.
2006
  • DREAM TRIP TO NEW YORK CITY!!!!!!
  • I got Honorable Mention in Musical Theatre 14B at NATS (and did not make finals in Classical 14B)
  • Played several roles in various opera scenes for Love Makes the World Go Round with Loveland Opera Theatre
  • Neal graduated from Loveland High School, ending an era.  1992-2006
  • Shauna graduated from UNC
  • Played Reporter #1 and a ship's passenger in Anything Goes! with Front Range Music Theatre.  (The set was built in our driveway!)
  • I quit my job at Falcon Properties
  • Sang the Lakme Flower Duet with Mary Beth in the Loveland Opera Theatre Gala
  • Massive snowstorms one after another blanket us in about 2 - 3 feet of snow!
2007
  • I became the Administrative Assistant for Loveland Opera Theatre (Part time job)
  • Played Vittoria in Gilbert & Sullivan's The Gondoliers with Loveland Opera Theatre.  (I also understudied Tessa and was the Props Mistress.)
  • I took 1st place in Musical Theatre 14B at NATS...meaning, I am not allowed to compete anymore.  Darn.
  • After 7 months, I returned to work at Falcon Properties, Inc.  They missed me.
  • Played the Aristocratic Lady, the Ale Wench, and a Plate in Beauty and the Beast with Front Range Music Theatre. (The set was, again, built in our driveway.)
  • Went on several hikes over the summer, culminating with Neal & Shauna hiking Long's Peak.
  • Sang "Mister Snow" from Carousel for the Loveland Opera Theatre Gala.
  • Rebekah Margaret Johnson was born!
  • Fun (and short) trip to Kansas and Missouri with Shauna to pick up Lori.
  • Went through the Denver Temple for my own endowments.
2008
  • I turned 30.  It wasn't quite as a traumatizing as I had expected.
  • Played Salome in Act 2 of  Savior of the World: His Birth and His Resurrection with the combined Loveland & Greeley Stakes.
  • Neal left on his mission to the England Manchester Mission.
  • Played Tzeitel in Fiddler on the Roof at the Union Colony Dinner Theatre
  • Played Kate Keller in The Miracle Worker with Loveland Community Theater.
  • Sang "Someone to Watch Over Me" and "Friendship" in the Loveland Opera Theatre Gala.
  • Played Aunt March in Little Women with Up in Lights.
2009
  • Played Bloody Mary in South Pacific at Jesters.
  • George Craig Varsel Johnson was born!
  • Played Donna in The Taffetas with Front Range Music Theatre.
  • Celebrated Grandpa Milligan's 95th Birthday!
  • Played the silent ghost Hope in the Loveland Opera Theatre Gala
  • Played Jessica Cranshaw in Curtains with Up in Lights.
  • Sang in a Messiah Sing-along with the Loveland Stake.
Wow!  It's been quite the 10 years.  Time sure does fly!  Obviously because I had fun!!  So now I'm issuing a challenge:  What do you have to show for your decade, 2000-2009?

    No comments: