Thursday, December 10, 2009

My Film Debut!

Don't get excited.  I'm not up for any Oscars or Golden Globes...yet.  All in good time.

No, last night I helped out a friend with a film shoot for the Acting for Film class at Up in Lights.  First I made the basement of UIL look like a basement of a house where a sleepover would take place.  This involved combing the room for anything to make it look less like a storage area and more like a house.  It ended up looking pretty good.  We only had to hold up a sheet a couple of times to block certain things.  So, I was the "Art Director."  I kept thinking I was the Set Dresser, but that's a theatre term.  I remembered Art Director in the middle of the night!  Wait, maybe I was the Set Decorator.  Whatever.

So what's it called when you are holding up a light?  Rigger?  Best boy grip?  I have no idea. But I did that, too.  I know I looked funny, because the kids were laughing at me.  I was standing on a chair, holding up the light against a furnace pipe (or whatever that was).  The cord kept coming out of the extension cord, so I had to hold that between my knees to keep it plugged in.  Then the cord was in the shot, so I was holding it with my teeth until I could maneuver enough to get the cord over my shoulder.  Then I held it like that for awhile.  Not sure how long, but it felt like hours.  It was a good work out for my biceps.

During the dancing scene, I pushed play on the iPhone so they had something to dance to.  Does that make me the Music Supervisor?  It wasn't my phone, and I didn't pick the song.  So probably not.

In the end, I got to have a short cameo in the film.  I played the mom.  I came in and discovered what they were doing to the poor nerdy girl and angrily made my "daughter" go upstairs for a whuppin'.

It was a fun night!  I've never done anything like that before, even doing videos and stuff in school.  Theatre is still my one true love, but film is FUN!!  I'd like to do more.  HINT HINT!!!  It seriously was the funnest 6 hours I've spent in a long time!

No comments: